During a recent interview skills workshop, we delved into the crucial skills required to secure a job or advance within your current position. Back in 2002, the Department of Education Science and Training (DEST), in collaboration with the Business Council of Australia and the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, released a report titled “Employability Skills for the Future.” This report outlined the core employability skills that employers seek when hiring or promoting employees.
These essential skills were identified as follows:
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organizing
When you’re applying for jobs or attending interviews, it’s vital to be aware of these eight employability skills. Interviewers often ask questions to assess your proficiency in these areas. Some typical questions you might encounter include:
- Can you share an instance where poor communication led to a workplace problem?
- Describe a successful teamwork experience you’ve had.
- Tell us about a situation where you had to solve a problem and the steps you took.
- How do you cope with change?
- Could you recount a time when you had to meet a crucial deadline and explain your approach?
- What software tools are you proficient in?
One of these key employability skills is Communication, which encompasses various facets that contribute to productive and harmonious relationships between employees and customers. These include:
- Listening and understanding
- Clear and direct verbal communication
- Tailoring written communication to the audience’s needs
- Responsive negotiation
- Independent reading skills
- Effective numeracy usage
- Understanding the needs of both internal and external customers
- Building and utilizing networks
- Information sharing
- Multilingual communication (speaking and writing in languages other than English)
Communication isn’t just a standalone skill; it’s woven into each of the other employability skills. Therefore, we emphasize the significance of communication in our interview skills workshops.
When preparing for interviews, keep these eight employability skills in mind and get ready for the questions interviewers may pose. Highlighting your expertise in Communication is particularly important. To give yourself the best chance of success, hone your communication skills. Consider attending one of Trischel’s Public Speaking Workshops, which can help you overcome nervousness, improve your body language, work on vocal variety, and enhance your presentation skills. Follow this up with Trischel’s Interview Skills Workshop, and you’ll find yourself well-equipped with polished employability skills, giving you a competitive edge in the job market.
Book a free conversation with Trish: www.calendly.com/trischel/conversation
Don’t forget to download you copy of 3 Keys to Successful Public Speaking
Get Known Be Seen Specialist, Personal Branding Strategist
Australia’s Leading Expert in Empowering Introverts
Multi International Award Winning Mentor
International Award Winning Best Selling Author
Host Get Known Be Seen WebTV
I Believe in You until You Believe in Yourself
Clients work with Trish because they know she can help them have the confidence and self-belief to make speaking easy. Trish typically works with small business owners, introverts, authors and advocates helping them to promote their business to be visible. Stand out and make it easy for your clients to find you.
Subscribe to Trischel’s YouTube channel http://bit.ly/TrishTalks
Follow Trish on Get Known Be Seen WebTV