What makes a good supervisor? There are a number of qualities and characteristics which indicate a good supervisor.
Here are some that I have identified, perhaps you can add to them.
- Good technical skills – if you are not fully conversant with the job what value is your supervision?
- Ability to plan ahead – Anticipating problems means that you are pro-active rather than reactive.
- Encourage participation and involvement from the workforce – This allows the workforce to take ownership of their occupation.
- Be Goal Orientated – understanding the importance of the task and being able to motivate the team to achieve it.
- Be able to Perform under Pressure – The ability to sort out problems and handle people effectively and calmly regardless of the pressure to perform.
And finally –
- Have good communication skills – a supervisor needs to be able to get instructions, ideas and information across to team members, colleagues and management.
And here is a question to consider and comment –
For some people their first promotion will be their last. Can a person remain effective as a supervisor for an indefinite period of time? What affect could that have on the workplace?
Book a free conversation with Trish
Don’t forget to download you copy of 3 Keys to Public Speaking
Multi International Award Winner Speaking Mentor, Coach
International Best Selling Author, Get Known Be Seen WebTV Host
Clients work with Trish because they know she can help them have the confidence and self-belief to leverage their business with speaking and communication. Trish typically works with business owners, introverts, authors and advocates helping them to have the confidence to step up and share their message with those who need to hear it. Believe Act Share, become empowered for success, Get Known Be Seen and become the Influencer you want to be.
Subscribe to Trischel’s YouTube channel http://bit.ly/TrishTalks
Follow Trish on Get Known Be Seen WebTV