It’s been a long day, you’ve been out networking, posting social media posts, talking to clients, and now you have a just got a call cancelling a booking. It feels like there’s more in your life going wrong than going right. You sit in front of your computer and think where did it all go wrong, maybe those people were right, you can’t have a business, can’t write that book – who really wants to listen to your message.
We all fall into the negative thought trap. It’s so easy to see the worst-case scenario, to focus on the bad things in our lives, especially when we’re tired or facing challenges. When we focus on the negativity we are actually hurting ourselves mentally and even physically. Negativity can cause us to go into a downwards spiral becoming depressed and anxious. Too much negativity can cause lack of sleep and can even cause your immune system to break down and you can find yourself fight colds and flu.
So how do you stop these negative thought patterns?
1. Red Stop Sign – Remember to breathe. When a negative thought surfaces, before you get caught up in the negative downward spiral visualize a red stop sign and take a deep breath. Relax. Accept the negative, then stop it from going any further.
2. Acknowledge the thought. Don’t focus on the negative just stop and listen to it for a moment. Remind yourself that this is something that is very likely not true and that it can’t control you.
3. Examine the triggers. Why do you have the negative thought? What just happened that led to your having this thought?
4. Look for the cause. Those triggers are probably from something much deeper. Where did the thought originate? What do you need to work through to keep these thoughts from happening again? Don’t let this step overwhelm you. If the cause is deep, it might be that you’ll need help to dislodge it. Don’t be afraid to ask for help or to visit a counselor to help with this step.
5. Focus on where you’re going. Realize that this negative thought doesn’t control your future. Keep your eyes on your goals!
6. Replace the thought with something else. With your eyes firmly on your goal, focus on what you need to do next to realize that dream. Fill your mind with that thought instead.
7. Understand that you don’t need to be perfect. Overcoming a negative mindset takes practice you’re not always going to succeed on the first try. It’s ok. Jump in where you are, and if you don’t succeed the first time, try again. You will get this!
8. Adopt a positive attitude. Remember positivity is a choice. YOUR choice. It all begins with you – no one else can change your attitude or mindset – only you can.
Changing that negative mindset is one of the most important habits that you’ll put in place. By pulling more positivity into your life, you’re going to feel better, like and believe in yourself a whole lot more. You’ll be more productive and experience less stress.
Now is the time to think positive? Are you ready to stop negative mindset and step forward in to the positive?
Schedule a FREE discovery session with Trish www.calendly.com/trischel/15min
Don’t forget to download you copy of 10 Free Tips For Improving Your Presentation
Creative Business Consultant
Australia’s Leading Expert in Empowering Introverts
Multi International Award Winner Mentor, Speaker, Coach
International Best Selling Author
Host Get Known Be Seen WebTV
I Believe in You until You Believe in Yourself
Clients work with Trish because they know she can help them have the confidence and self-belief to make speaking easy. Trish typically works with business owners, introverts, authors and advocates helping them to have the confidence to step up Get Known Be Seen. Stand out and make it easy for your clients to find you.
Subscribe to Trischel’s YouTube channel http://bit.ly/TrishTalks
Follow Trish on Get Known Be Seen WebTV Channel http://bit.ly/GetKnownBeSeenWebTV